I am one of those lucky (and yet unlucky) people who is blessed (or cursed) with the ability to feel extreme emotion. I've never thought about it very much analytically, but a couple of weeks ago I was talking with a friend after I'd had a really bad day, and I asked, "Don't you ever feel just miserable?" His response was that no he didn't. I was shocked, but then realized that not very many people have the strong emotions that I have on a regular basis very often. I thought about it for another minute, and decided that I didn't want to change. I hate the low times. Feeling miserable really is miserable, and I don't enjoy it. However, there is a scripture that says that there must be opposition in all things. If they never knew misery how could they know happiness. In all honesty I would never willingly give up the times of misery if I knew that I would also have to give up the times of bliss.
I can't find the exact quote, but it's very like something Anne said in Anne of Green Gables. I love to fly. The thump when you hit the ground is rather unpleasant, but I would rather take the thumps than give up the flying.
Comments
Post a Comment