Skip to main content

April 15

Hello Everyone!!!
I got a library card! So that means I can actually tell all of you what happened this week. It has truly been a week of miracles. It's amazing how much we've been able to acomplish despite having all sorts of non-normal things take up time during our week.
Last Monday not much happened, but I did have a cool thought. We were driving a lender car while ours was getting fixed a little bit and the car was red. While we were out looking for a previous investigator we saw a fire truck and I had this thought. "Fire trucks are big and red and save lives. Our call is small and red and saves souls!" We now have our normal car back which is gray and thus doesn't apply as well, but I thoguht I'd share.
Tuesday we visited with one of our investigators who has been investigating for a long time, but she has some deep fears about getting baptized that we're still trying to work through. It was amazing to be able to visit with her because as we walked in she told us that she'd been having a really hard day, and it was so amazing that we could come to give her a little bit of comfort and a lift out of her bad day. We also did a lot of knocking doors and talking to people. That has been one of our focuses this week is trying to talk to everyone that we see. At first (like Monday and Tuesday) it was really hard and pretty awkward, but by the end of the week it was so much easier!
Wednesday we had a miracle where the member we'd invited to one of our lessons through her husband but couldn't actually get ahold of just miraculously showed up at our lesson right after the opening prayer. Having her there was so good! It's wonderful to have a member to add testimony, make the investigator feel more comfortable, and explain things when we have trouble making it make sense.
Thursday we had a really hard day where no one was home that we specifically tried to contact and no one who's door we knocked on wanted to hear what we had to say. Then to top it off the mother of two of our investigators (she's a less active) texted us and told us that we couldn't come that night and based on other conversations we'd had with her it sounded like she didn't want us to come any more at all. We were so disapointed, and I just wanted to cry, but we knew we had to keep working so we chose a previous investigator and went to visit them. When we knocked on their door their daughter (a recent convert who goes to the English ward) opened the door, let us in, and we proceded to have a lesson with both of her parents (old investigators) and her two sons (also members)! It was so cool because I really feel like they're more ready to keep commitments and progress in the gospel. I felt like the spirit was guiding the lesson and we were able to say things that would really help them.
Friday was really the coolest miracle in my book. After dinner we went to visit a woman in the ward who we might be able to do some service for, but she couldn't meet with us right then so we left. Just then I realized that I needed to use the restroom so we decided to try to visit a less active and ask to use her restroom. Sadly her gate was locked so we couldn't even go up and knock on the door. By this time though I really needed a restroom so we started knocking doors. The first family that was home let me use their restroom, and Hna Whetten talked with them while I did. Then after I got out we continued talking and eventually taught the first lesson to them (mom, dad, and three daughters all over 8). They were all listening attentively, and seemed open to what we had to say. They've visited a few of our temples, but never acutally talked with missionaries in their home before. Once again we felt like the spirit was really guiding the lesson from both sides. The agreed to read the Book of Mormon and pray about it, and also to let us come back this week!!! The all speak pretty good English, and the girls mostly only speak English so they might end up going to the English Elders, but I am sitll so excited that we found them!!!!!! They are so ready to hear this gospel!
Saturday we had another miracle as well. After lunch we didn't have any specific appointments so we decided to try to contact two of our investigators that we haven't been able to get a second meeting with. We went to Maria first, but she wasn't home so we went to visit with Juan and Noe (Noah). As we walked up to their house it turned out that they had just got home from a soccer game fifteen minutes before (If we'd gone to them first they wouldn't have been home. Also they weren't expected home for another while so there's no way we would have waited.) All the women in the house were leaving so we had to go outside, but they were just fine with sitting out on the porch and letting us teach a lesson. It was so cool, and we really felt like the Spirit was guiding this lesson as well. They asked good questions, and we were able to ask questions that really made them think. They both promised to read the Book of Mormon and pray about whether or not it's true!! It is amazing to me how the spirit can open and touch every heart. I love that the Book of Mormon can be so instrumental in helping people gain testimonies for themselves of the truth of this gospel!
Sunday there was a baptism for an investigator of the bike-Elders. The baptism was such an amazing experience! The spirit was SO strong, and I felt once again how important it is for people to be able to gain a testimony of this and then be baptized and start down this path! This truly is the path to finding lasting happiness in this life and in the life to come. Watching her smile so big through the whole service was AMAZING!!! I had such a hard time not crying, and it worries me for when I get to watch the baptisms of investigators that I've worked closely with and developed a relationship with. I want so badly for them to be able to feel this joy that I have every day, and from personal experience I know that reading the scriptures, praying, going to church, being baptized, and following the commandments of God (all of those are continuous except baptism) is the best way to do that.
I ablsolutely love bing a missionary here! I had a cool realization the other day about the importance of testifying to everyone. I realized that as we testify people really do recognize us as representatives of Christ on a spirit to spirit level. I can see it in their eyes, and by the way that they change how open they are to hearing from us throughout our conversation. Daddy wrote me a letter this week that talked about how he's learning more and more that often things are meant on a much more spiritual than physical level. I think this applies so well to how people respond to missionaries. When we just show up in our skirts and with our tags, being nice, and speaking well (or poorly in my case) they may recognize us as good people. They may even recognize that we really feel strongly about what we're teaching, but that's not enough. They need to recognize us on a spiritual level that will allow them to subconsiously remember what their souls are looking for, and recognize that we can help them find it.
I love you all! This gospel is true! I love being a missionary!
Love,
Hermana Marin Hardy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birthday!

So, my birthday was yesterday, and it was quite possibly the best birthday ever , and definitely the BEST day of this semester!  It actually started the night before (the night of the 17th) when Janette came to dinner. We made pizza, Isaac brought cinnamon rolls, and we had several people over. I was already happy being able to party with Janette one last time before she went into the MTC . Then after dinner, my roommates surprised me with birthday cake and ice cream. Everyone sang happy birthday, and I was glad I got to celebrate with Janette. Then on the morning of the 18th (my BIRTHDAY ) I woke up and left my room, and this is what I found: streamers hanging from the connecting door, balloons all over the living room, streamers on the ceiling, a monkey hanging from the ceiling in the kitchen, and 20 sticky notes that said 20 different things my roommates love about me. : ) I have the BEST   roommates ever! Sandra also had a few dollar store presents for me, and the best o...

Going Public

So I was thinking today about how I love to keep up with my friends and family through their blogs. I'm pretty busy with school, so I really don't have time to call everyone who is important to me and talk about their lives. Instead I read their blogs. I write my blog for much the same reason, so that people who care about me can read about my life on their own time. Ever since I started my blog I've had it privatized so that only people who I invite can read my blog. However, as I have made more friends, I've had multiple people be surprised that I have a blog at all, and some have asked to read it. I've always been hesitant to let people read my blog because I don't want to inadvertently offend someone or accidentally share something I'd rather keep private with the whole world. I realized today that that is really silly considering the purpose of my blog, and so I've decided to publicize my blog. I realize that I write about other people on my blog, a...

Cibophobia

I have been a picky eater for as long as I can remember. In fact, I am the pickiest person I have ever met. (I've heard of people who were pickier for a while, but not for such an extended period of time.) From as far back as I can remember up until my last year of high school I ate the same things all the time. I took the same thing for lunch every day from kindergarten through high school. My parents didn't understand, but they never tried to force me to eat anything I didn't want to. (Well, except once when I was five or six, and my mom said I couldn't have anything else to eat until I ate a slice of apple. ... I went three days without food and she gave up.) While I have always just said I'm a picky eater, I now believe that I suffer from Cibophobia. Cibophobia is the fear of food. If you'd like, you can read more about it here . Why was my diet so limited? Why did I refuse to try new things? It was because trying new foods, the thought of putting the food...