Skip to main content

Nov 4


2010 11 04m

Buenos Dias,

This week we've had some really good experiences with members in our area. We had a couple of good 15 minute dinner lessons, and on Thursday we saw one of our members out trick or treating with her kids and she told us that she had a family that they wanted to invite over for a Noche de Hogar! We also had the opportunity to help with a Primary activity and had a wonderful lesson with B and S (investigators) that Hna Escobar came to with us. It was such a good lesson, and Hna Escobar is just so cute!

One exciting story from this week was when we met two of our investigators named N and E. We were contacting around the house of one referral who wasn't actually interested and we knocked on their door. At first they just set up a kind of shaky return appointment for the next Tuesday, but as we walked down the sidewalk to knock on the next door N came out and invited us back to teach them right then because they really weren't sure if they would be able to be there for the appointment.

Possibly the funnest story from this week is from Thursday. After lunch we were out contacting when Elder Lopez called us. He said that he needed our address for something from the office, so we gave it to him. I admit that I was a little bit confused as to why the office somehow didn't have our address... When we came home for dinner on later that afternoon we discovered the real reason he'd wanted our address. We got to our door and it was covered with paper hearts and scraps and other things. Hna Evans and Hna Blankinship had decorated our door (and returned our cake pan). It turns out that Elder Lopez had been getting it for Hna Evans and Hna Blankinship. We forgot to take a picture before we took everything down, but I taped some of the things into my journal afterward. They told us later that they got super lost in our apartment building, just like we did the first time. :) We've discovered that going the shortest way and not including the elevator (which is a trial in and of itself) we have to go through 9 different doors to get from our apartment to outside the building.

This week I've been thinking and learning a lot about meekness and it's relationship to receiving revelation. I read Elder Soares' talk from general conference again, but it seemed so general that I wanted to do some more specific research. I started in the topical guide, which lead me to the story of Moses. I read a lot about Moses, because in Exodus there's a verse that says he was the meekest of men so I was trying to figure out what that meant, and what made him so meek. I came to the conclusion that the reason he was so meek was that he didn't believe he could do anything on his own, but he didn't question at all that he could do anything with the help of (and under the direction of) the Lord. If you read the story of him freeing the Israelites it's clear that Moses didn't come up with any of those things himself, he just did what the Lord directed him to do from each time he needed to talk with Pharoah and what to say to him, to raising his hand to the sky to call down whatever plague. It was interesting because I've also been reading a little bit in Genesis about Abraham, and he seems to be the same way. I think that they were meek because they were led by the Spirit in everything that they did, but also, on the other hand, they were led by the Spirit in all they did because they were meek. I feel like those two things are integrally connected.

I am so grateful for the opportunity to be a missionary. I know that this gospel truly is the way to follow Jesus Christ and that it can bring more happiness than anything else.

Love,

Hna Hardy



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birthday!

So, my birthday was yesterday, and it was quite possibly the best birthday ever , and definitely the BEST day of this semester!  It actually started the night before (the night of the 17th) when Janette came to dinner. We made pizza, Isaac brought cinnamon rolls, and we had several people over. I was already happy being able to party with Janette one last time before she went into the MTC . Then after dinner, my roommates surprised me with birthday cake and ice cream. Everyone sang happy birthday, and I was glad I got to celebrate with Janette. Then on the morning of the 18th (my BIRTHDAY ) I woke up and left my room, and this is what I found: streamers hanging from the connecting door, balloons all over the living room, streamers on the ceiling, a monkey hanging from the ceiling in the kitchen, and 20 sticky notes that said 20 different things my roommates love about me. : ) I have the BEST   roommates ever! Sandra also had a few dollar store presents for me, and the best o...

Going Public

So I was thinking today about how I love to keep up with my friends and family through their blogs. I'm pretty busy with school, so I really don't have time to call everyone who is important to me and talk about their lives. Instead I read their blogs. I write my blog for much the same reason, so that people who care about me can read about my life on their own time. Ever since I started my blog I've had it privatized so that only people who I invite can read my blog. However, as I have made more friends, I've had multiple people be surprised that I have a blog at all, and some have asked to read it. I've always been hesitant to let people read my blog because I don't want to inadvertently offend someone or accidentally share something I'd rather keep private with the whole world. I realized today that that is really silly considering the purpose of my blog, and so I've decided to publicize my blog. I realize that I write about other people on my blog, a...

Cibophobia

I have been a picky eater for as long as I can remember. In fact, I am the pickiest person I have ever met. (I've heard of people who were pickier for a while, but not for such an extended period of time.) From as far back as I can remember up until my last year of high school I ate the same things all the time. I took the same thing for lunch every day from kindergarten through high school. My parents didn't understand, but they never tried to force me to eat anything I didn't want to. (Well, except once when I was five or six, and my mom said I couldn't have anything else to eat until I ate a slice of apple. ... I went three days without food and she gave up.) While I have always just said I'm a picky eater, I now believe that I suffer from Cibophobia. Cibophobia is the fear of food. If you'd like, you can read more about it here . Why was my diet so limited? Why did I refuse to try new things? It was because trying new foods, the thought of putting the food...