Skip to main content

Aug 4 2014

Buenas Tardes!
 
This week has been SO short. I also didn't bring my journal so I'm not sure how much I'll be able to remember of what happened.
 
Wednesday we had an exchange with the Hermana Training Leaders. I got to go to Van Nuys with Hermana Larsen. The first thing we did was service. We got to pick up trash around the government center in Van Nuys, and it was so much fun! It was also a great exchange because I got to go back to a lot of places/people that I'd worked with on exchanges last December when I was an Hermana Training Leader. Specifically we had dinner with one Hermana who I'd had dinner with before. Back then she was less active, but her goal was to get her temple recommend back. Now she is active, helps with the missionary work, and drives several other Hermanas from the ward to the temple every month. We also had 3 miracles in a row earlier in the day after we'd had a very unsuccessful hour or so of knocking. Miracle #1 was that these two women that we talked to invited us to sit down and talk to them. Miracle #2 was that they brought us COLD WATER BOTTLES! Miracle #3 was that we taught an awesome lesson one, I got to testify about the 1st vision, and the Spirit was SO strong the whole time. They weren't really interested in the end and wouldn't commit to pray about our message, but it was an awesome experience
 
Friday we helped one of our less active/investigator families move. At first we thought that they were just moving within our ward, but it turned out that it was actually across the street so they were in North Hollywood 5 too! It was great because they ended up living in the same complex as the missionaries in that area. They had appointments that night, but a couple of other elders from the ward were able to come help us move them in. They had just started coming back to church, so I hope that the ward there takes good care of them.
 
Sunday was a day of miracles! We weren't expecting anyone but Or to be at church because our other investigators and potentials either didn't answer the phone or told us they weren't coming. We were especially sad because one of our recent converts, E, told us that he wasn't going to be able to come to church because his work changed his schedule and he couldn't get out of it. I was SO SAD because I have seen time and again that it's things like that that start people down the road to inactivity. Then before relief society I was in the chapel (which is also where they have priesthood) practicing the Organ when suddenly E walked into the room! We only got to talk with him for a second, but he told us that he had found a way to avoid working the morning shift that morning so that he could come to church. It was amazing! It was also amazing that our friend Y came to church again. We still haven't been able to teach her, but she has been coming to church, and says that she wants her kids to have this because she hasn't given them  the opportunity before. I hope that we can help her. :)
 
This morning we went shopping to get some jeans for Hermana Jensen and found some really cute shirts.
(See picture) Unfortunately they were also ridiculously expensive so we didn't end up buying them. I've been trained far to well in the thrift store shopping mentality. :)
 
Anyway, sorry it's short, but I love you all muchly!
 
Love,
 
Hermana Marin Hardy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birthday!

So, my birthday was yesterday, and it was quite possibly the best birthday ever , and definitely the BEST day of this semester!  It actually started the night before (the night of the 17th) when Janette came to dinner. We made pizza, Isaac brought cinnamon rolls, and we had several people over. I was already happy being able to party with Janette one last time before she went into the MTC . Then after dinner, my roommates surprised me with birthday cake and ice cream. Everyone sang happy birthday, and I was glad I got to celebrate with Janette. Then on the morning of the 18th (my BIRTHDAY ) I woke up and left my room, and this is what I found: streamers hanging from the connecting door, balloons all over the living room, streamers on the ceiling, a monkey hanging from the ceiling in the kitchen, and 20 sticky notes that said 20 different things my roommates love about me. : ) I have the BEST   roommates ever! Sandra also had a few dollar store presents for me, and the best o...

Going Public

So I was thinking today about how I love to keep up with my friends and family through their blogs. I'm pretty busy with school, so I really don't have time to call everyone who is important to me and talk about their lives. Instead I read their blogs. I write my blog for much the same reason, so that people who care about me can read about my life on their own time. Ever since I started my blog I've had it privatized so that only people who I invite can read my blog. However, as I have made more friends, I've had multiple people be surprised that I have a blog at all, and some have asked to read it. I've always been hesitant to let people read my blog because I don't want to inadvertently offend someone or accidentally share something I'd rather keep private with the whole world. I realized today that that is really silly considering the purpose of my blog, and so I've decided to publicize my blog. I realize that I write about other people on my blog, a...

Cibophobia

I have been a picky eater for as long as I can remember. In fact, I am the pickiest person I have ever met. (I've heard of people who were pickier for a while, but not for such an extended period of time.) From as far back as I can remember up until my last year of high school I ate the same things all the time. I took the same thing for lunch every day from kindergarten through high school. My parents didn't understand, but they never tried to force me to eat anything I didn't want to. (Well, except once when I was five or six, and my mom said I couldn't have anything else to eat until I ate a slice of apple. ... I went three days without food and she gave up.) While I have always just said I'm a picky eater, I now believe that I suffer from Cibophobia. Cibophobia is the fear of food. If you'd like, you can read more about it here . Why was my diet so limited? Why did I refuse to try new things? It was because trying new foods, the thought of putting the food...