Skip to main content

World Lit Paper #2 . . . Check!


And no, I don't expect anyone to actually read it. This is mostly proof that I'm not dead . . . although I should be.
The Pride of Orgon
            In the play Tartuffe, by Moliere, the most obvious element was the hypocrisy of Tartuffe. When Moliere wrote the play he intended to satirize hypocrisy. However, there are other lessons that can be learned from the characters within this play. Of the other characters, Orgon provided the clearest example. Throughout the play there are dozens of examples of his pride and the trouble that it causes him. His arrogance gets him into trouble at first because he refuses to see what Tartuffe really is. Then, when he can no longer ignore Tartuffe’s treachery, his egotism gets him into even more trouble.
            Orgon enters the play during the fourth scene of act one. He asks after Tartuffe and worries about him while ignoring the fact that his wife has been ill. At the beginning of act five, Cleante is confused as to why he would be so callous about his wife’s plight while being so solicitous of Tartuffe’s needs, and asks, “Are you so dazed by this man’s hocus-pocus that all the world, save him, is out of focus?” Orgon responds, “Brother, stop right there. You do not know the man of whom you speak.” When Cleante tries to explain why he feels this way, Orgon interrupts him again saying, “Ah, when you meet him, you two will be like brothers…” During this exchange Orgon makes it clear that he is proud of his ability to accurately judge a person’s character and thinks little of Cleante’s discernment. It is almost as though Orgon is saying that Cleante couldn’t possibly be a better judge of character than he is.
As Cleante tries to reason with him, Orgon again shows his pride by saying, “Brother, your language savors of impiety. Too much free-thinking’s made your faith unsteady, and as I’ve warned you many times already, ‘twill get you into trouble before you’re through.” He is trying to correct Cleante because he feels that he is better than him. This is even more evident when he makes fun of Cleante saying, “I see, dear brother, that you are profoundly wise; you harbor all the insight of the age.” This is also slightly ironic because he is making fun of Cleante for something that he is doing even more grossly and because he is the one who is hurt by pride.
 Orgon also shows his egotism through his interactions with his daughter and her maid. He goes to Mariane and tells her that he wishes her to be fond of Tartuffe and to marry him. When she balks, and asks, “Why would you have me say what isn’t so?” his response is a clear demonstration of his arrogance. “Because I am resolved it shall be true. That it’s my wish should be enough for you,” and later, “just trust your father’s judgment.” He clearly views his daughter as a possession, but more importantly he believes that she will want whatever he wants because what he wants must be the best. Dorine attempts to reason with Orgon and to save Mariane from an unhappy marriage. Orgon arrogantly responds, “My girl you take too many liberties. I am master here, as you must not forget,” and perhaps even more proudly, “This servant girl presumes to save my soul.”
As the play continues, it becomes clearer that Orgon’s egotism will cause him trouble. His wife, Elmire, tries to save Mariane from an unhappy marriage by dealing with Tartuffe, who wants to have an affair with her, but her son Damis insists on telling their father of Tartuffe’s crime. The way Orgon responds is an example of how he ignores the truth in order to protect his pride. He feels that he couldn’t have been wrong about Tartuffe’s character so he says, “Ah, you deceitful boy, how dare you try to stain his purity with so foul a lie.” He does this again a moment later when he says, “I know your motives; I know you wish him ill: … Ah, but the more you seek to drive him away, the more I’ll do to keep him. Without delay, I’ll spite this household and confound its pride by giving him my daughter as his bride.” This speech is also reminiscent of what he said earlier to Cleante. Here to, he is accusing others of being blinded by pride while ignoring his own.
            Despite his certainty Orgon is proven wrong. When he finally realizes this he says, “That man’s a perfect monster, I must admit! I’m simply stunned. I can’t get over it.” Orgon is stunned that he was wrong. Also, his ego has been hurt so now he must do something to soothe the wound. He confronts Tartuffe and tries to throw him out, but then his folly is even more completely exhibited. Tartuffe tells him, “No, I’m the master, and you’re the one to go! This house belongs to me, I’ll have you know.”
Now Orgon’s arrogance has come back to bite him. He gave away his wealth to spite his family and now he has nothing to fight Tartuffe with. However, Orgon is still trying to salvage his ego. In act five scene one he says, “The cunning scoundrel got me to agree …” He is now blaming his actions on Tartuffe, while still claiming to have done nothing wrong. A few lines later he says, “Just think of it: behind that fervent face, a heart so wicked, and a soul so base! I took him in, a hungry beggar, and then … enough, by God! I’m through with pious men: Henceforth I’ll hate the whole false brotherhood.” His arrogance emerges once more, this time saying that if Tartuffe could fool him then it must be impossible to trust any other pious person.
This play was written mostly as a jibe against hypocrites and thus, Tartuffe, must be the character who is punished, and Orgon does come out the winner in the end. We never see a clear change of heart or hear him admit to his pride. However, the very last page of the play gives us some hope. Cleante councils Orgon to “go kneel before your sovereign’s throne and thank him for the mercies he has shown.” We would have expected the arrogant Orgon to refuse, but instead he responds, “Well said: let’s go at once and, gladly kneeling, express the gratitude which all are feeling.”

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birthday!

So, my birthday was yesterday, and it was quite possibly the best birthday ever , and definitely the BEST day of this semester!  It actually started the night before (the night of the 17th) when Janette came to dinner. We made pizza, Isaac brought cinnamon rolls, and we had several people over. I was already happy being able to party with Janette one last time before she went into the MTC . Then after dinner, my roommates surprised me with birthday cake and ice cream. Everyone sang happy birthday, and I was glad I got to celebrate with Janette. Then on the morning of the 18th (my BIRTHDAY ) I woke up and left my room, and this is what I found: streamers hanging from the connecting door, balloons all over the living room, streamers on the ceiling, a monkey hanging from the ceiling in the kitchen, and 20 sticky notes that said 20 different things my roommates love about me. : ) I have the BEST   roommates ever! Sandra also had a few dollar store presents for me, and the best o...

Going Public

So I was thinking today about how I love to keep up with my friends and family through their blogs. I'm pretty busy with school, so I really don't have time to call everyone who is important to me and talk about their lives. Instead I read their blogs. I write my blog for much the same reason, so that people who care about me can read about my life on their own time. Ever since I started my blog I've had it privatized so that only people who I invite can read my blog. However, as I have made more friends, I've had multiple people be surprised that I have a blog at all, and some have asked to read it. I've always been hesitant to let people read my blog because I don't want to inadvertently offend someone or accidentally share something I'd rather keep private with the whole world. I realized today that that is really silly considering the purpose of my blog, and so I've decided to publicize my blog. I realize that I write about other people on my blog, a...

Cibophobia

I have been a picky eater for as long as I can remember. In fact, I am the pickiest person I have ever met. (I've heard of people who were pickier for a while, but not for such an extended period of time.) From as far back as I can remember up until my last year of high school I ate the same things all the time. I took the same thing for lunch every day from kindergarten through high school. My parents didn't understand, but they never tried to force me to eat anything I didn't want to. (Well, except once when I was five or six, and my mom said I couldn't have anything else to eat until I ate a slice of apple. ... I went three days without food and she gave up.) While I have always just said I'm a picky eater, I now believe that I suffer from Cibophobia. Cibophobia is the fear of food. If you'd like, you can read more about it here . Why was my diet so limited? Why did I refuse to try new things? It was because trying new foods, the thought of putting the food...