February 14th, is at once the most anticipated and the most feared, the most loved and the most hated day of the year. Couples do cute things for one another, and single people post things on facebook such as the following:
- Micah : "Happy Low Self-esteem Day Kadee!"
Me: "......Gee Thanks." - This is why I call it "Single's Awareness Day / Spousal Obligation Day" (SAD-SOD). I'm honestly not a fan. Maybe I'll like it more when I'm not single, but I still maintain my right to be skeptical of that possibility until I find positive proof that it's a great thing.
- Happy Singles Awareness Day! With your help, we can put an end to this ruthless disease.
These are just the few examples I found in my cursory glance over my news feed. I really wish people would look at the good side of February 14th.
I was not single on Valentines Day last year, but I am very single this year, and the guy I was dating last year is now dating someone new. I have every reason to mope, and be sad, and bemoan my single status, but I have no desire to. I have really enjoyed my Valentines Day. I woke up this morning to a valentine from the Relief Society Presidency taped to my bedroom door, conversation hearts from my roommate on the bathroom counter, another valentine from the Elders Quorum on the doorstep, fun window paint messages on the windows of all of the apartments, and fun chalk messages on the balconies of our building and the sidewalk in front of the building (also courtesy of the Elders Quorum). On my way to class I texted my mom and asked her if I could be one of her valentines today. Of course she said yes! I shared Hershey Kisses with some of my classmates and friends, and delivered more valentines for the Relief Society Presidency.
All day I have felt very loved, and felt a lot of love for those around me. This (love) is what Valentines Day is really about. (Why else would everything be covered in hearts?) I love Valentines Day because I love to love people and be loved, I don't need one special person, I'll just share that with everyone. (I also love it because I don't feel guilty for eating as much chocolate as I want.)

Comments
Post a Comment