Skip to main content

Work, Work, Work

So I spent all day working on the same thing (minus 20 minutes of time to read part of my assignment for world lit). I've been trying to finish a project for my Mass Communications class that's due in class tomorrow.
It's a group project and we were assigned to analyze the major complaints against the hotel chain Days Inn, write a formal report (to Days Inn) and prepare a Power Point presentation to give to the class (pretending they're Days Inn representatives) along with a handout. I somehow managed to land the role of coordinator/leader of our group and it's been crazy! No one else seemed too worked up about actually finishing the project so I handed out assignments and created Google docs. I also ended up being the one to put everything together. When everyone sent me their paragraphs for the report I put them together and wrote the introduction and conclusion. However, I soon realized that this just wouldn't do (at least we wouldn't get an A). Each person had written what they thought needed to be included, but not everyone had included everything that needed to be included. So I did some major editing and adding and subtracting (not much of that) and moving around until everything that needed to be there was and everything fit. Then we started working on our Power Point. One team member started the handout, and another team member got most of the slides started and we all discussed what kind of format we wanted to use. When we met at 7 o'clock this morning to practice our presentation the Power Point was definitely not done; neither was the handout finished. Not only that, but everyone was at least 15 minutes late, and we didn't have everyone there until 7:30. We talked through what people needed to cover then practiced where we would stand, what order we would speak and discussed what we should wear. Then I had to run for my 8 o'clock class. Over the course of the day I finished the Power Point, e-mailed all of my team members the Power Point, about how much time they needed to take, and reminded one about what he should cover. I printed our 17 page report and bought a report cover for it. I also got the handout from the group member who had finished it content-wise and formatted it to match our Power Point. I'm just glad that it's finally almost over. We're meeting tomorrow morning before class to practice and print our handouts.
I don't know what I could have done differently to make this project work better. I felt like I was the only member of my group who really had any drive to get this done before the last minute. I think that a big part of it might have been that someone had to coordinate everything, and that's what I'm good at. I tried to give people assignments, but they never seemed to follow through on an "A" level. I just hope that my group members didn't feel like I was being domineering. Oh, and I really hope we get an A.

Comments

sage said…
I hope you get an A too. And that if you use the word too, meaning also or as well, you spell it with two o's instead of one o, as in the word to, meaning in the direction someplace to which someone is going. I'm good at coordinating too, as long as I'm the only person I have to coordinate with.

Popular posts from this blog

Birthday!

So, my birthday was yesterday, and it was quite possibly the best birthday ever , and definitely the BEST day of this semester!  It actually started the night before (the night of the 17th) when Janette came to dinner. We made pizza, Isaac brought cinnamon rolls, and we had several people over. I was already happy being able to party with Janette one last time before she went into the MTC . Then after dinner, my roommates surprised me with birthday cake and ice cream. Everyone sang happy birthday, and I was glad I got to celebrate with Janette. Then on the morning of the 18th (my BIRTHDAY ) I woke up and left my room, and this is what I found: streamers hanging from the connecting door, balloons all over the living room, streamers on the ceiling, a monkey hanging from the ceiling in the kitchen, and 20 sticky notes that said 20 different things my roommates love about me. : ) I have the BEST   roommates ever! Sandra also had a few dollar store presents for me, and the best o...

Going Public

So I was thinking today about how I love to keep up with my friends and family through their blogs. I'm pretty busy with school, so I really don't have time to call everyone who is important to me and talk about their lives. Instead I read their blogs. I write my blog for much the same reason, so that people who care about me can read about my life on their own time. Ever since I started my blog I've had it privatized so that only people who I invite can read my blog. However, as I have made more friends, I've had multiple people be surprised that I have a blog at all, and some have asked to read it. I've always been hesitant to let people read my blog because I don't want to inadvertently offend someone or accidentally share something I'd rather keep private with the whole world. I realized today that that is really silly considering the purpose of my blog, and so I've decided to publicize my blog. I realize that I write about other people on my blog, a...

Cibophobia

I have been a picky eater for as long as I can remember. In fact, I am the pickiest person I have ever met. (I've heard of people who were pickier for a while, but not for such an extended period of time.) From as far back as I can remember up until my last year of high school I ate the same things all the time. I took the same thing for lunch every day from kindergarten through high school. My parents didn't understand, but they never tried to force me to eat anything I didn't want to. (Well, except once when I was five or six, and my mom said I couldn't have anything else to eat until I ate a slice of apple. ... I went three days without food and she gave up.) While I have always just said I'm a picky eater, I now believe that I suffer from Cibophobia. Cibophobia is the fear of food. If you'd like, you can read more about it here . Why was my diet so limited? Why did I refuse to try new things? It was because trying new foods, the thought of putting the food...