Skip to main content

May 13

Hey Everybody!
 
I'm not actually sure if aprendimiento is a word in Spanish, but it's supposed to mean learning. Aprender means 'to learn', and -iento is the same as -ing in english so I hope it is a real word. :)
 
It really has been a week of learning though; I've learned a lot spiritually, and also from trainings that we've had. On Wednesday we had a 6 Week follow up meeting for all the missionaries who are halfway through the 12 week program. It was such a good meeting! We spent a lot of time on how to be a good companion, and I thought it was hillarious how often President Hall drew from his marriage for examples. President and Sister Hall are so cute! While I did learn a lot from that part of the meeting, mostly I was just so glad that I got such a wonderful companion in Hermana Whetten, and that we've been able to work so well together.Three things I liked best from this section were that 'by becoming a better companion you get a better companion.' I also loved that President Hall emphasized 'hints don't work and they don't count. If you need or want something ask for it.' The last thing I really liked from the companionship section was that we need to be our companion's biggest advocate in public and in private. (AKA in our words and our thoughts!) In the rest of the training there was one thing that stuck out to me more than anything else; so often repentance is thought of as, "oh I did something bad now I have to repent." Even when we talk or teach about it in the correct sense, it's hard to think about it all the time in the correct sense. In reality anything that brings you closer to Christ and helps you be more Christlike is repentance! That is such an exciting concept, and it motivated me to want to use the word repentance more often and in the proper context so that everyone can gain this understanding.
 
Thursday was weekly planning, but last week we had training on how to do weekly planning exactly the way it says in Preach My Gospel sentence for sentance (you read each sentence and then say "Okay, let's do that now!), and we knew it would take more time than usual. What we weren't expecting was how much more time. Other than the two appointments and dinner we had scheduled we spent all day Thursday weekly planning. Then we spent almost two hours on Friday weekly planning, and then on Saturday we spent about an hour finishing up weekly planning. Hermana Whetten and I joked that weekly planning was going to take all week! We learned our lesson though, and didn't schedule anything all day next Thursday. It will just be 8 straight hours of weekly planning. Truthfully though, it was such an amazing experience! We learned so much about how we can help our investigators more, and we really filled our planners with meaningful and useful activities next week.
 
In our mission President Hall and a lot of the missionaries have what we call a 'Book of Revelations'; this is just a little notebook that you carry around with you everywhere so that when you receive revelation you can write it down. This is intended to show God how much you value the revelation, and take responsibility for it so that He will give you more. On Saturday I wrote this in my Book of Revelations: " Right now we are trying to be 'Preach My Gospel' missionaries by doing exactly what PMG says to do in how to do missionary work. In our lives we can better become like Christ if we do exactly what the scriptures say. I thought of this because of Alma 37:37 which was quoted in a conference talk by Bishop Dean M Davies. My instinctive response to the verse was "Okay, let's do that now!'" I know it doesn't work quite exactly as well since PMG is meant to be applied practically, and the scriptures aren't always, but it was a cool connection to make.
 
Then this morning in my personal study I read 1 Nephi 17:45-46. Nephi is reminding Laman and Lemuel that they have seen and talked to angels and heard the voice of God. They know of his power, and still they harden their hearts against his words. This was such a good reminder to me that faith has to precede miracles or the miracles don't help our faith at all. Knowledge without faith is empty. It also makes me think about how when we lived with Heavenly Father in the premortal life we all had to have faith to choose His plan. We didn't 'know' exactly how it would all work out in the end, but we had faith in Him and chose to go His way. Faith really is an eternal principle, not just a principle of here and now.
 
I'm sure I'll have more stories about our experiences and investigators this coming week. I Love you all!
 
Love,
 
Hermana Marin Hardy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birthday!

So, my birthday was yesterday, and it was quite possibly the best birthday ever , and definitely the BEST day of this semester!  It actually started the night before (the night of the 17th) when Janette came to dinner. We made pizza, Isaac brought cinnamon rolls, and we had several people over. I was already happy being able to party with Janette one last time before she went into the MTC . Then after dinner, my roommates surprised me with birthday cake and ice cream. Everyone sang happy birthday, and I was glad I got to celebrate with Janette. Then on the morning of the 18th (my BIRTHDAY ) I woke up and left my room, and this is what I found: streamers hanging from the connecting door, balloons all over the living room, streamers on the ceiling, a monkey hanging from the ceiling in the kitchen, and 20 sticky notes that said 20 different things my roommates love about me. : ) I have the BEST   roommates ever! Sandra also had a few dollar store presents for me, and the best o...

Going Public

So I was thinking today about how I love to keep up with my friends and family through their blogs. I'm pretty busy with school, so I really don't have time to call everyone who is important to me and talk about their lives. Instead I read their blogs. I write my blog for much the same reason, so that people who care about me can read about my life on their own time. Ever since I started my blog I've had it privatized so that only people who I invite can read my blog. However, as I have made more friends, I've had multiple people be surprised that I have a blog at all, and some have asked to read it. I've always been hesitant to let people read my blog because I don't want to inadvertently offend someone or accidentally share something I'd rather keep private with the whole world. I realized today that that is really silly considering the purpose of my blog, and so I've decided to publicize my blog. I realize that I write about other people on my blog, a...

Cibophobia

I have been a picky eater for as long as I can remember. In fact, I am the pickiest person I have ever met. (I've heard of people who were pickier for a while, but not for such an extended period of time.) From as far back as I can remember up until my last year of high school I ate the same things all the time. I took the same thing for lunch every day from kindergarten through high school. My parents didn't understand, but they never tried to force me to eat anything I didn't want to. (Well, except once when I was five or six, and my mom said I couldn't have anything else to eat until I ate a slice of apple. ... I went three days without food and she gave up.) While I have always just said I'm a picky eater, I now believe that I suffer from Cibophobia. Cibophobia is the fear of food. If you'd like, you can read more about it here . Why was my diet so limited? Why did I refuse to try new things? It was because trying new foods, the thought of putting the food...