Skip to main content

Dec 1

Buenas,

So ... I'm getting transferred AGAIN!!! This time to car... I'm pretty sad about it... I'm going to take my bike with me though, and maybe I can convince my new companion to ride bikes with me at least part of the time. President Hall also asked me to be an Hermana Training Leader. It's a little scary for me since I really only know how to be in training or train new missionaries... I'm not sure what I'm going to do with a companion who isn't brand new in the mission. I am very grateful that the Lord qualifies those that he calls. The mission has definitely been a good experience for me to be able to learn to trust in the Lord more than in myself.

This week has been interesting, with the holidays coming up and this being Thanksgiving week (last week) we didn't get as much done because there just aren't as many people who have time to talk with us... It's also transfers tomorrow and I have to pack so I just don't have as much time as usual...

Thanksgiving Day was pretty good. We were worried about having nothing to do but knock on doors of people who then don't answer (because they want to be with their families) but we found things to do. We did weekly planning, and had dinner with the Palacios family. We also picked up trash along one of the main streets in our area. It was kind of sad because there was just SO much trash. We also used that time to contact all the people who are NEVER home so we can't ever find them to talk to them again. We figured they'd all be home for Thanksgiving. :)

We also set a baptismal date with our investigator R! She is so sweet, and so prepared for the gospel! We also had a lesson with her on Sunday, and she told us how she wasn't sure how she ended up on this path that God has clearly prepared for her when she wasn't even looking for it. I truly believe that there are prepared people out there that don't even know they're prepared, but when you find them they get baptized, and life only gets better from there. We also had a good lesson with H and A (different day) and A also wants to get baptized. H still isn't sure if he's prepared or knows enough. We're working with him to understand the atonement and know that he doesn't have to be perfect before he's baptized (or even after) because that's what the atonement is for.

Saturday we had a cool experience with a finding activity for some elders in our district. We were knocking in one apartment complex, and we had two really funny rejections in a row. (I love when you can laugh about being rejected.) The first one we knocked on the door and a lady yelled "Who is it?" in English. "The Missionaries," is our standard response. The only response she made was to yell even more loudly, "NO!" Hna Anderson and I both burst out laughing (as quietly as possible...) I couldn't help thinking in my head, "no we're not missionaries, or no you don't want to talk to us?" The very next door that we knocked on was even funnier. We knocked and heard a patter of little feet, followed very quickly by a woman's voice yelling "No ABRA!" (that means 'don't open'). They proceeded to have a small scuffle at the door with the small one trying to open the door and the mom trying to keep it closed. There was lots of incoherent screeching from the child and more "No ABRA, no ABRA!" from the mom as the door jerked back and forth in front of us. We couldn't help but start laughing again. Hna Anderson wanted to knock again just because it was so funny, but we moved on instead. Anyway... the really cool part was at the very end of our time we knocked on this door and a woman answered and let us right in. She had us sit down at the table and gave us bottles of water. Then she let us teach the entire first lesson, agreed to read and pray about the Book of Mormon, and set a return appointment for the Elders to come back! She was so open and accepting! I love finding people like that who truly seem to be searching for the truth.

I really have to go now, but I love you all! Don't forget the challenge we received in General Conference. I don't remember who said it (maybe Elder Ballard), but basically he said, "If everyone in the church young and old would reach out to just one person before Christmas, think about what an amazing birthday present that would be for Christ.

Love,

Hna Marin Hardy



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birthday!

So, my birthday was yesterday, and it was quite possibly the best birthday ever , and definitely the BEST day of this semester!  It actually started the night before (the night of the 17th) when Janette came to dinner. We made pizza, Isaac brought cinnamon rolls, and we had several people over. I was already happy being able to party with Janette one last time before she went into the MTC . Then after dinner, my roommates surprised me with birthday cake and ice cream. Everyone sang happy birthday, and I was glad I got to celebrate with Janette. Then on the morning of the 18th (my BIRTHDAY ) I woke up and left my room, and this is what I found: streamers hanging from the connecting door, balloons all over the living room, streamers on the ceiling, a monkey hanging from the ceiling in the kitchen, and 20 sticky notes that said 20 different things my roommates love about me. : ) I have the BEST   roommates ever! Sandra also had a few dollar store presents for me, and the best o...

Going Public

So I was thinking today about how I love to keep up with my friends and family through their blogs. I'm pretty busy with school, so I really don't have time to call everyone who is important to me and talk about their lives. Instead I read their blogs. I write my blog for much the same reason, so that people who care about me can read about my life on their own time. Ever since I started my blog I've had it privatized so that only people who I invite can read my blog. However, as I have made more friends, I've had multiple people be surprised that I have a blog at all, and some have asked to read it. I've always been hesitant to let people read my blog because I don't want to inadvertently offend someone or accidentally share something I'd rather keep private with the whole world. I realized today that that is really silly considering the purpose of my blog, and so I've decided to publicize my blog. I realize that I write about other people on my blog, a...

Cibophobia

I have been a picky eater for as long as I can remember. In fact, I am the pickiest person I have ever met. (I've heard of people who were pickier for a while, but not for such an extended period of time.) From as far back as I can remember up until my last year of high school I ate the same things all the time. I took the same thing for lunch every day from kindergarten through high school. My parents didn't understand, but they never tried to force me to eat anything I didn't want to. (Well, except once when I was five or six, and my mom said I couldn't have anything else to eat until I ate a slice of apple. ... I went three days without food and she gave up.) While I have always just said I'm a picky eater, I now believe that I suffer from Cibophobia. Cibophobia is the fear of food. If you'd like, you can read more about it here . Why was my diet so limited? Why did I refuse to try new things? It was because trying new foods, the thought of putting the food...