Skip to main content

Jan 27 2014

I couldn't think of anything to say to start this email so I'm leaving it blank. :) It's a bit strange to be writing again (otra vez) after such a short amount of time...
 
This week in general has been kind of crazy. One of our Hermanas has had some pretty big health issues recently and they haven't really been able to work their area because of that. To help them out we've been doing a lot of work with them so that their area doesn't just fall apart.
 
Monday was a weird day because we worked like a normal day instead of taking preparation day. We took the bikes out for the first part of the afternoon, and I was reminded once again how much I LOVE doing missionary work on bikes. It's true that it takes longer to get places, but you get to talk to so many more people, and it just feels so good!
 
Tuesday we had district meting, which was wonderful as usual; our district this transfer is AMAZING, and Elder Robison is a great District Leader. Later that day we met with H and taught him about repentance. He's worried that he won't ever be worthy of baptism because of his drinking problem, but after the lesson he seemed so much happier, and seemed to have so much more hope for the future. I love that repentance can do that for us.
 
Wednesday we had an appointment in the morning with a potential named T and to our great surprise both she and her novio were there and we were able to teach them both. :) It was truly a miracle for us because that was the only work we got to do in our area that day. After lunch and studies we headed over to the other Hnas area to do a split with them so that they could get some work done in their area. I stayed home with our poor sick Hna  and Hna Barnes went out with her companion to work for the day. It was a good day, and it felt good to be able to help them out.
 
Thursday we emailed :) helped the elders with a little service project (by bringing our investigator so that they could have a man with them so they could go in the house), taught E the Word of Wisdom and the Law of Chastity, and started weekly planning.
 
Friday we did a full exchange with our sick Hna's and it was so cool. Hna Barnes and I had two appointments in the morning before that went really well. We had to stop teaching A, but he promised to keep reading, and I really think that this is what will be best for his eternal progression in the long run. We also taught a woman named M who has been investigating forever, but never progresses. She has a son on a mission though so we keep trying with her. The exchange also went well, and I was able to go to one cita with our sick Hna! She's improving in her health little by little. :)
 
Saturday we finished our exchange, but before we did our sick Hna and I went to an appointment that fell through, and instead we were able to find a family! We taught the mom and the daughter, and set a return appointment for the next day. That appointment did fall through, but we still think we'll be able to work with most of the family.
 
Sunday we had church and it was good. H came!!! We were so excited. The members were really helpful throughout the meetings. Hno C sat with us during sacrament, Hno S sat with him in Elders Quorum, and Hno M gave him a blessing after church to help him quit drinking. He is doing so well, and really progressing and changing his life. I feel so blessed to be able to see that as it happens.
 
I want to end this email with an insight that I had last night but it's going to make it really long... If you want to end here then just know that I love you all, and I know that Jesus Christ is my Savior and your Savior and that He loves each of us more than we can imagine.
 
We truly have been blessed as we've been doing the work of the Lord, and we've been having what feels like a lot more success lately. Last night our district leader asked us to "share the magic" with him and tell him what we've been doing to be able to find so much, and teach so much. As we thought about it we couldn't think of any one thing that we would attribute it to or anything specific that we've changed as we've seen more success. As I continued to think I was reminded of a scripture in Alma 36. It is clear that Ammon and his brethren had already been working a lot among the Lamanites before they began to feel discouraged which means they hadn't had any success at first. Alma explains:

27 Now when our hearts were depressed, and we were about to turn back, behold, the Lord comforted us, and said: Go amongst thy brethren, the Lamanites, and bear with patience thine afflictions, and I will give unto you success.

28 And now behold, we have come, and been forth amongst them; and we have been patient in our sufferings, and we have suffered every privation; yea, we have traveled from house to house, relying upon the mercies of the world—not upon the mercies of the world alone but upon the mercies of God.

29 And we have entered into their houses and taught them, and we have taught them in their streets; yea, and we have taught them upon their hills; and we have also entered into their temples and their synagogues and taught them (I promise we don't try to teach in other peoples churches); and we have been cast out, and mocked, and spit upon, and smote upon our cheeks ; and we have been stoned, and taken and bound with strong cords, and cast into prison; and through the power and wisdom of God we have been delivered again. (We haven't been spit on, smote, stoned, bound or cast into prison.)

30 And we have suffered all manner of afflictions, and all this, that perhaps we might be the means of saving some soul; and we supposed that our joy would be full if perhaps we could be the means of saving some.

31 Now behold, we can look forth and see the fruits of our labors; and are they few? I say unto you, Nay, they are many;

I still wouldn't consider our fruits many because we're still working towards baptisms, but we have seen so much more success. I truly have recognized that success is a gift from the Lord and is not dependent on how hard we work or how good of missionaries we are. We can definitely influence our success and the Lord expects us to work hard and try to improve ourselves, so that He can bless us, but for the most part success comes in the Lords time and according to His will. If we're not seeing it then we simply have to wait on the Lord. In the meantime we can continue to make ourselves more and more effective instruments in His hands.
 
Love,
 
Hna Marin Hardy


 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birthday!

So, my birthday was yesterday, and it was quite possibly the best birthday ever , and definitely the BEST day of this semester!  It actually started the night before (the night of the 17th) when Janette came to dinner. We made pizza, Isaac brought cinnamon rolls, and we had several people over. I was already happy being able to party with Janette one last time before she went into the MTC . Then after dinner, my roommates surprised me with birthday cake and ice cream. Everyone sang happy birthday, and I was glad I got to celebrate with Janette. Then on the morning of the 18th (my BIRTHDAY ) I woke up and left my room, and this is what I found: streamers hanging from the connecting door, balloons all over the living room, streamers on the ceiling, a monkey hanging from the ceiling in the kitchen, and 20 sticky notes that said 20 different things my roommates love about me. : ) I have the BEST   roommates ever! Sandra also had a few dollar store presents for me, and the best o...

Going Public

So I was thinking today about how I love to keep up with my friends and family through their blogs. I'm pretty busy with school, so I really don't have time to call everyone who is important to me and talk about their lives. Instead I read their blogs. I write my blog for much the same reason, so that people who care about me can read about my life on their own time. Ever since I started my blog I've had it privatized so that only people who I invite can read my blog. However, as I have made more friends, I've had multiple people be surprised that I have a blog at all, and some have asked to read it. I've always been hesitant to let people read my blog because I don't want to inadvertently offend someone or accidentally share something I'd rather keep private with the whole world. I realized today that that is really silly considering the purpose of my blog, and so I've decided to publicize my blog. I realize that I write about other people on my blog, a...

Cibophobia

I have been a picky eater for as long as I can remember. In fact, I am the pickiest person I have ever met. (I've heard of people who were pickier for a while, but not for such an extended period of time.) From as far back as I can remember up until my last year of high school I ate the same things all the time. I took the same thing for lunch every day from kindergarten through high school. My parents didn't understand, but they never tried to force me to eat anything I didn't want to. (Well, except once when I was five or six, and my mom said I couldn't have anything else to eat until I ate a slice of apple. ... I went three days without food and she gave up.) While I have always just said I'm a picky eater, I now believe that I suffer from Cibophobia. Cibophobia is the fear of food. If you'd like, you can read more about it here . Why was my diet so limited? Why did I refuse to try new things? It was because trying new foods, the thought of putting the food...