Skip to main content

Jan 6, 2013

Feliz Nuevo Ano a Todos!!!
 
AyAyAy! Cada vez que empiezo mis correos en espanol mi mente cambia a espanol y trato de escribir toda el mensaje en espanol. :P
 
Ok, now the Spanish is all out and I can move on in English so that the majority of you understand without Google translate. :)
 
This week has been a weird week for us, starting with Tuesday on New Years Eve. First we had Mission Leadership Council which is an all day meeting with President, the Assistants, and all the Zone Leaders and Sister Training Leaders. (AKA mind blown by all the amazing things you learn!) Then after we leave there at 5 or so we normally have a normal missionary day, but not this week. As normal people you go to parties and stay up late on new years eve, but as missionaries we not only go to bed at 10:30 (or earlier if we can swing it) like normal, but we also have to be home by 7 pm to avoid the drunk drivers/walkers/partiers. Apparently that's the one holiday when proselyting is not "an excellent time for finding and teaching". (per the missionary handbook) ;) We took the time to update our phone contacts, and do manicures/pedicures.
 
Friday we had Zone Training Meeting, and that was amazing. It was a little bit awkward for the role play though. Hna Barnes and I were teaching, and the situation we came up with was for us to try to contact a group of teenage boys. I hate contacting teenage boys (for some reason I just feel inordinately awkward...) so even just roleplaying it was awkward. Especially since we were practicing with Elders who are really just teenage boys in disguise! We got through it though, and I think that it at least helped the other missionaries know that we're not perfect and often feel awkward/don't know what to do but if we keep working at it then it will get better. (Our re-practice went much better than the first try.)
 
After ZTM Hna Barnes and I started an exchange with Hna Clifton and Hna Rodriguez. This time I went with Hna Rodriguez to her area, and it was SO much fun!
We did quite a bit of contacting, a little bit of teaching, and talked a lot. The best part was that we talked almost completely in Spanish (minus the words I didn't know) for about 6 hours straight!
 
Saturday after the exchange was just a weird day. We taught two lessons to two of our investigators, but by the end of the day neither of them was an 'investigator' any more. The first one was an investigator who is Jewish, but he said we could come back and teach so we did. It turns out that he actually "got baptized Mormon" (his words not mine) about 20 years ago! We're going to go back a few more times and see if he's actually interested in coming back to church or not. The second one was with an old man who was an investigator a while ago. We picked him back up, but weren't sure if he was understanding everything we were teaching him. We hoped that it was just some kind of language barrier, but we brought a member with us on Saturday, and she said that it definitely wasn't a language barrier (phew, I'm glad my Spanish isn't actually worse than I thought). We were sad to not be able to teach him anymore, but at least we know that at least right now he just doesn't need it.
 
Sunday was a good fast Sunday, and we found out that our Hermanas are all AMAZING!!! 3 of our companionships met or beat the standard of excellence for finding new investigators (8), and one of them almost doubled it!!! 15 new investigators in one week!!! It was so amazing, and it really made us feel like we've actually done something to help them with the training that we've done on exchanges. Now we just have to figure out how to help all those investigators want to come to church, keep the commandments, and be baptized... It's all a process, but I feel like we've got a good start.
 
As for the new year. I still haven't been able to decide on any concrete goals for the entire year, but I have decided to try to make sure that I set goals all year round. :) I've learned so much about goal setting and achieving as a missionary, and I want to continue to apply that throughout my life. Unfortunately the rest of my life doesn't have a nice specific manual like Preach My Gospel to make the goal setting easier. Luckily I have a lot longer than 18 months to try to figure out how to do it though. I hope that each of you have been able to take the time and at least think about what you want from this coming year. I hope that you will all commit to trying to do what God would have you do. I know that the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter Day Saints is the church of God on the earth today. I know that the Book of Mormon is true and is a guide for our everyday lives. I know that because of the Atonement of Jesus Christ everything will be all right in the end. I love you!
 
Love,
 
Hna Marin Hardy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birthday!

So, my birthday was yesterday, and it was quite possibly the best birthday ever , and definitely the BEST day of this semester!  It actually started the night before (the night of the 17th) when Janette came to dinner. We made pizza, Isaac brought cinnamon rolls, and we had several people over. I was already happy being able to party with Janette one last time before she went into the MTC . Then after dinner, my roommates surprised me with birthday cake and ice cream. Everyone sang happy birthday, and I was glad I got to celebrate with Janette. Then on the morning of the 18th (my BIRTHDAY ) I woke up and left my room, and this is what I found: streamers hanging from the connecting door, balloons all over the living room, streamers on the ceiling, a monkey hanging from the ceiling in the kitchen, and 20 sticky notes that said 20 different things my roommates love about me. : ) I have the BEST   roommates ever! Sandra also had a few dollar store presents for me, and the best o...

Going Public

So I was thinking today about how I love to keep up with my friends and family through their blogs. I'm pretty busy with school, so I really don't have time to call everyone who is important to me and talk about their lives. Instead I read their blogs. I write my blog for much the same reason, so that people who care about me can read about my life on their own time. Ever since I started my blog I've had it privatized so that only people who I invite can read my blog. However, as I have made more friends, I've had multiple people be surprised that I have a blog at all, and some have asked to read it. I've always been hesitant to let people read my blog because I don't want to inadvertently offend someone or accidentally share something I'd rather keep private with the whole world. I realized today that that is really silly considering the purpose of my blog, and so I've decided to publicize my blog. I realize that I write about other people on my blog, a...

Cibophobia

I have been a picky eater for as long as I can remember. In fact, I am the pickiest person I have ever met. (I've heard of people who were pickier for a while, but not for such an extended period of time.) From as far back as I can remember up until my last year of high school I ate the same things all the time. I took the same thing for lunch every day from kindergarten through high school. My parents didn't understand, but they never tried to force me to eat anything I didn't want to. (Well, except once when I was five or six, and my mom said I couldn't have anything else to eat until I ate a slice of apple. ... I went three days without food and she gave up.) While I have always just said I'm a picky eater, I now believe that I suffer from Cibophobia. Cibophobia is the fear of food. If you'd like, you can read more about it here . Why was my diet so limited? Why did I refuse to try new things? It was because trying new foods, the thought of putting the food...