Skip to main content

Feb 18 2014

Feliz Dia,
 
Valentines Day was this week, and it was by far the best holiday that I've had as a missionary. Nothing is better than love to start of sharing the gospel of Jesus Christ. Then Monday was also a holiday (presidents day?) which is why we're emailing on Tuesday instead of Monday.
 
Last Monday was really fun. We were at the tennis courts as a district/zone, and a bunch of us decided to play flag football instead. Hna Barnes and I had some extra fabric that we found in our apartment in the car so we cut it up to make flag and then everyone just tucks it into their waistband. It was a little sad later that day though because we had to give up one of our investigators named T. She is super sweet, and actually sees us as friends, but she's really more comfortable speaking and reading English so we said that we would send the English elders to talk with her.
 
Tuesday was district meeting, which was AMAZING!!!! (as usual) Then we got to spend most of the day contacting because all of our appointments fell through. Correlation was chistoso (funny:not an exact translation) as always, but we got a lot done, and it's always fun to be able to see the missionaries in our district.
 
Wednesday we had an exchange with the Burbank hermanas, and Hna Blacker came here to me. We also had a lot of contacting time, but we did teach an impromptu lesson to one of our investigators named Clara. It was so fun for me to be able to work with Hna Blacker again and see how much she's progressed since our last exchange during her 3rd week in the mission. She really is just a good missionary, and her Spanish is AMAZING!!!
 
Thursday we finished exchange and then had all sorts of crazy things happen. We ended up having to go to the office to pick up a temporary car while ours get's fixed (someone keyed our back bumper...), and then we went over to the NoHo 4to hermanas to do some roleplays with them before heading back to our area for cena and an appointment. However, that's when we realized that we had left the door opener for our parking lot in the car in Santa Clarita! We did had our dinner, taught our lesson, and then drove all the way back to Santa Clarita... All in all a crazy day. :)
 
Friday we finally had some more time to work in our area, and we found three new investigators. The best part is that they all live in the same apartment building. It's always a miracle for us when we find several different Hispanic families in the same building, and it was even more of a miracle that three of them (well, three individuals) were willing to listen to us!
 
Saturday we again had almost no time in our area. We helped the Zone Leaders with a finding activity in their area and did splits again with the Burbank hermanas. It was such a cool experience for me for two reasons. 1) Hna Watts and I found 3 new investigators for the Elders, a brother and his two sisters who were super cool, and so prepared! 2) Hna Watts told me that Hna Blacker had really been impacted by our exchange! I am so grateful that God allowed me to see the impact that I'd had on someone. So often we never know who we impact, and I am always grateful when he lets me see that. We also did a finding activity with the Van Nuys bike hermanas, and I was SO HAPPY because I got to go on bike with Hna Hudsen for 2 hours! I miss being on bike so much!
 
Sunday was also a good day. Church was good, and even though all of our citas fell through it was great to have the finding time and we were able to find 3 more new investigators.
 
Monday we again got together with our zone, this time for a giant water balloon fight. We were celebrating beating our goal for new investigators last month. It was SO much fun, but I didn't take any pictures (sorry mom). We all got wet, and the water balloons ran out fairly quickly so we played soccer afterwards to dry off.
 
Today has been a good day so far, but I really just want to share an experience that I had this morning in (and after) district meeting that I really think has changed the rest of my mission. District meeting was awesome! and then thanks to the things we talked about there I spent some time during lunch studying why I came on a mission. I always say that I came because God told me to and I want to do what he wants me to. Our district leader talked about the why behind missionary work, and that made me think about why God wanted me to come on a mission. I read through the beginning of Ch1 in PMG and found a few kind of generic answers, but then the true answer of why I came on a mission came to me as I remembered my farewell talk. In my talk I explained that I was going on a mission because I knew how much God loved me and how much he loved others and I wanted to share that love with everyone. As I thought about this I realized that having that purpose is why I have never worried about numbers or baptism. I know that baptism and activity in the church (following the gospel of Jesus Christ) is the best way to feel God's love, but that depends on their agency and not my work. I am just here to share with them how much God loves them. It was incredible to me to feel the Spirit, and relief, and change in perspective that came as I remembered that simple principle. I don't know when I lost that, but I am SO grateful that I have remembered it again. I can already see the change that it makes in how I feel as we go out to work and talk with everyone.
 
I am so grateful for this time that I have to be a missionary. I am grateful for all the things that I am learning and for the opportunity to become more and more personally converted. Thank you for all of your love and support.
 
Love,
 
Hna Marin Hardy
 
Picture #1 My hair is getting SO long. ... And I get a little silly at night when I'm tired...
Picture #2 (DISCLAIMER: This is totally not allowed and does not happen!!!) Elder Robison (my district leader) and me. He started the joke about doing exchanges with me, and Hna Barnes and I thought he was sounding a little down on the phone Friday night when he called to talk to us, so to make him laugh I packed up as if for an exchange and brought my bag with me to the district finding activity the next day. I even brought my helmet since he's on bike. :) Oh the things we do to play jokes on each other.
Picture #3 Hna Barnes and Elder Robison... I guess I did something wrong. ;)
 
 
 
 
 
 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birthday!

So, my birthday was yesterday, and it was quite possibly the best birthday ever , and definitely the BEST day of this semester!  It actually started the night before (the night of the 17th) when Janette came to dinner. We made pizza, Isaac brought cinnamon rolls, and we had several people over. I was already happy being able to party with Janette one last time before she went into the MTC . Then after dinner, my roommates surprised me with birthday cake and ice cream. Everyone sang happy birthday, and I was glad I got to celebrate with Janette. Then on the morning of the 18th (my BIRTHDAY ) I woke up and left my room, and this is what I found: streamers hanging from the connecting door, balloons all over the living room, streamers on the ceiling, a monkey hanging from the ceiling in the kitchen, and 20 sticky notes that said 20 different things my roommates love about me. : ) I have the BEST   roommates ever! Sandra also had a few dollar store presents for me, and the best o...

Going Public

So I was thinking today about how I love to keep up with my friends and family through their blogs. I'm pretty busy with school, so I really don't have time to call everyone who is important to me and talk about their lives. Instead I read their blogs. I write my blog for much the same reason, so that people who care about me can read about my life on their own time. Ever since I started my blog I've had it privatized so that only people who I invite can read my blog. However, as I have made more friends, I've had multiple people be surprised that I have a blog at all, and some have asked to read it. I've always been hesitant to let people read my blog because I don't want to inadvertently offend someone or accidentally share something I'd rather keep private with the whole world. I realized today that that is really silly considering the purpose of my blog, and so I've decided to publicize my blog. I realize that I write about other people on my blog, a...

Cibophobia

I have been a picky eater for as long as I can remember. In fact, I am the pickiest person I have ever met. (I've heard of people who were pickier for a while, but not for such an extended period of time.) From as far back as I can remember up until my last year of high school I ate the same things all the time. I took the same thing for lunch every day from kindergarten through high school. My parents didn't understand, but they never tried to force me to eat anything I didn't want to. (Well, except once when I was five or six, and my mom said I couldn't have anything else to eat until I ate a slice of apple. ... I went three days without food and she gave up.) While I have always just said I'm a picky eater, I now believe that I suffer from Cibophobia. Cibophobia is the fear of food. If you'd like, you can read more about it here . Why was my diet so limited? Why did I refuse to try new things? It was because trying new foods, the thought of putting the food...