Skip to main content

Apr 28 2014

Buenas Tardes,

Mostly I just have a few experiences to share from this week.

Recently we have been trying to contact each of our investigators every day. So far we've only been successful with one of them, but he is progressing pretty well. We've been able to build up a good enough relationship with him that we had a great experience on Sunday morning before church. He had committed to come to church with us on Sunday, and we were going to get him a ride with one of our members, but the night before he texted us and told us that he didn't want to come to church and that maybe he should just stay catholic! We weren't sure what had happened since he was reading and praying and seemed to really like the Book of Mormon. We went over the next morning before church, and asked him what had happened. Luckily he trusted us enough to tell us that what was really going on was that he was afraid to go to church when he didn't know anyone or what it would be like. We're going to work on bringing more members with us so he can feel like he has friends, and maybe we'll be able to give him a tour to help him feel more comfortable.

On Wednesday we went to contact a referral that we got from our branch president. He is a less active member who was attending an English ward, but hasn't been going for a few months. He actually speaks better Spanish, so President Mendez had his records transferred to our branch, and then we went to visit him. He is so sweet, and it turns out that he has a son who is 7 and will turn 8 soon who wants to be baptized. We're going to teach at least the two of them as he prepares to be baptized, and hopefully we'll be able to get the whole family interested and coming to church.

On Thursday we talked with a 7th Day Adventist family who investigated the church about a year ago, but came to a difference in doctrine so they stopped. We talked a little bit about what the difference was, and I was shocked to discover that they believe that we didn't exist before we were born! I have never even questioned that in my life, and it was strange to try to think about how life could have a purpose or what the purpose of having children would be without the knowledge that God is our Heavenly Father and we lived with him before this life. I am so grateful for the knowledge that we have of the Plan of Salvation! We testified to them of the importance of gaining spiritual knowledge from the Holy Ghost more than just from what others tell us or what the Bible says. I know that there are so many different ways of interpreting the word of God, and I am so grateful that we have modern prophets who guide us, and the Holy Ghost to testify to our hearts of the truth.

On Friday we had an interesting experience doing some contacting for another set of Hermanas in our district. It was a very white neighborhood, so we didn't talk with any Hispanics, but we did talk to one very kind Christian lady. She had crosses and quotes all over her house and front yard, and as we walked up to talk with her at first she just said she didn't want to talk with us. In the end she asked us what church we were from, and when she found out we were 'Mormons' she told us in a very hushed voice, "you do know that's a cult right." She spent the next 5 or 10 minutes trying to convince us to focus on Jesus and "weigh the spirit" of our church because she didn't want us to be brainwashed or confused. Hermana Ellingson was AMAZING and just testified of the truth of the Book of Mormon and that she could know the truth for herself as well if she would read and pray. In those situations I am always SO grateful that I have been able to gain my own testimony of the things that we teach! I am so grateful that we don't have to rely on the testimony of anyone else.

I also have an interesting paradox (not sure if that's the right word...) of missionary work to share. I was on an exchange in Sylmar a couple of weeks ago, and as we were contacting on the street after an appointment fell through I shook a man's hand, and he tried to kiss mine! I pulled my hand away quickly, and told him it was okay to just shake my hand. I think he was a little off though because he just made a slightly crude comment, and then walked away. It was interesting to compare with the woman we tried to contact this week who refused to even shake our hands and walked away proclaiming that she was "already Christian". What's the missionary paradox you may ask. Some people want to kiss your hand and others think they'll die if they even touch it. :)

Anyway, I need to end here, but I love you all! I know that this gospel is true. I am so grateful for the opportunity God has given me to serve a mission, and that I've been able to learn Spanish and work with all of these wonderful people. I am so grateful for my Savior Jesus Christ, and the grace that I can receive thanks to his sacrifice. I hope that each of you will be able to feel that grace more fully in your lives each day.

Love,

Hna Marin Hardy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birthday!

So, my birthday was yesterday, and it was quite possibly the best birthday ever , and definitely the BEST day of this semester!  It actually started the night before (the night of the 17th) when Janette came to dinner. We made pizza, Isaac brought cinnamon rolls, and we had several people over. I was already happy being able to party with Janette one last time before she went into the MTC . Then after dinner, my roommates surprised me with birthday cake and ice cream. Everyone sang happy birthday, and I was glad I got to celebrate with Janette. Then on the morning of the 18th (my BIRTHDAY ) I woke up and left my room, and this is what I found: streamers hanging from the connecting door, balloons all over the living room, streamers on the ceiling, a monkey hanging from the ceiling in the kitchen, and 20 sticky notes that said 20 different things my roommates love about me. : ) I have the BEST   roommates ever! Sandra also had a few dollar store presents for me, and the best o...

Going Public

So I was thinking today about how I love to keep up with my friends and family through their blogs. I'm pretty busy with school, so I really don't have time to call everyone who is important to me and talk about their lives. Instead I read their blogs. I write my blog for much the same reason, so that people who care about me can read about my life on their own time. Ever since I started my blog I've had it privatized so that only people who I invite can read my blog. However, as I have made more friends, I've had multiple people be surprised that I have a blog at all, and some have asked to read it. I've always been hesitant to let people read my blog because I don't want to inadvertently offend someone or accidentally share something I'd rather keep private with the whole world. I realized today that that is really silly considering the purpose of my blog, and so I've decided to publicize my blog. I realize that I write about other people on my blog, a...

Cibophobia

I have been a picky eater for as long as I can remember. In fact, I am the pickiest person I have ever met. (I've heard of people who were pickier for a while, but not for such an extended period of time.) From as far back as I can remember up until my last year of high school I ate the same things all the time. I took the same thing for lunch every day from kindergarten through high school. My parents didn't understand, but they never tried to force me to eat anything I didn't want to. (Well, except once when I was five or six, and my mom said I couldn't have anything else to eat until I ate a slice of apple. ... I went three days without food and she gave up.) While I have always just said I'm a picky eater, I now believe that I suffer from Cibophobia. Cibophobia is the fear of food. If you'd like, you can read more about it here . Why was my diet so limited? Why did I refuse to try new things? It was because trying new foods, the thought of putting the food...