Skip to main content

July 28 2014

Buenos Dias!
 
This week has been pretty good. Tuesday we had O's baptismal interview, and he PASSED!!! We also had a random cita with Y and A. They texted us to ask if we could come since A was home from work which was great since we haven't been able to see her for a few weeks now thanks to her variable work schedule.
 
Wednesday we rode bikes in the morning to search for members and referrals that we need to find. I love biking! It is so much easier to talk to people, and it just feels good. :) We also had a great lesson with O and started teaching him Lesson 5 (Laws and Ordinances) from Preach My Gospel chapter 3. They recently made some adjustments to missionary work, including that Lesson 5 must be taught before baptism as well as afterwards. I love it because it helps us focus so much more on enduring to the end, and ensures that our investigators really want to be baptized and then remain active in the church and the gospel for the rest of their lives. O is incredible because he just wants to know everything! and everything we tell him he just wants to do it so that he can do the Lord's will.
 
Thursday we did weekly planning, and basically ran from thing to thing for the rest of the day. We had a cena with Hna P. She is such a strong member, and she also always feeds me cooked vegetables and rice. This time she also had watermelon, and grapes that were SO good. After cena we had another lesson with O and basically finished up Lesson 5. After that we ran to J and E's house to talk with them for a while. I am so grateful that they are in our area. I found them at the beginning of my mission, and it has been great to be able to work with them again here. We're working right now on getting them to go to the temple to get sealed. After them we had correlation, and ran to get my Book of Mormon back from the members house that we had left it at the night before.
 
Friday was Zone Conference!!!!!!!!!!!!! Enough said. :)
 
We also had cena with the B family again, and it was so much fun! They had us help them make pupusas for dinner, and I feel like I got pretty good at it by the end. Then after we ate we talked for a little bit, and I just felt so at home. It's great because they all speak only Spanish at home, but I could keep up and even felt like part of the family.
 
Saturday we had a couple of citas fall through, but we got to talk to E for a while, and he has a couple of people for us that he thinks we could start teaching. I love that he's doing missionary work of his own now! He is one of our strongest recent converts, and does so much to help the work along. Then later that afternoon we had a ward picnic which was fun, and we got to talk to a couple of people who the members had invited. We're working on helping our members just invite their friends to activities to get to know the church even if they don't want to take the lessons right now.
That night we took cookies over to the elders and picked up a pair of pants that needed to be mended. As we were talking the one pair of pants somehow turned into 4... I've turned into the district seamstress, but I love doing it because it's so calming, and makes me feel needed.
(They all know that there's no guarantee that they'll all get done before I get transferred though.)
 
Sunday was great. Before church we had a lesson with O just to make sure we'd covered everything and that he was still all ready and prepped for his baptism that afternoon. Then our investigator M also came to church, and we were SO excited! The members were very good about welcoming her, and I think that she felt the Spirit. She also told us that she'd gotten a copy of the Book of Mormon from one of her friends at work, and has been reading the introduction! Last week when we taught her she didn't want to meet with us any day but Sunday, but after sacrament meeting as we were talking she said that we could meet at the church again on Wednesday! I love the way that keeping commitments helps bring the Spirit into peoples lives which helps them want to make and keep more commitments. It's just such a beautiful cycle!
 
After church we had lunch and a little bit of studies before we ran back to the church for O's baptism. He was there already, and everything went so smoothly. The service was good, the members were welcoming, and O just seemed so happy.

I was also happy because Z came to the baptism which helps me know that she really is converted, and is keeping her own baptismal covenants that she made not so long ago.
 
I am so grateful for the things that I have learned and am learning on my mission. I am grateful for the opportunity to work with all of these wonderful missionaries, members, and investigators, and have my testimony strengthened by their testimonies. You would think that as missionaries we're supposed to be doing the teaching (and technically that's true when it comes to investigators) but I learn SO much from the people here and their dedication to the Lord and the gospel.
 

I hope that you all have a good week, and can find the little miracles that happen all around you.
 
Love,
 
Hermana Marin Hardy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birthday!

So, my birthday was yesterday, and it was quite possibly the best birthday ever , and definitely the BEST day of this semester!  It actually started the night before (the night of the 17th) when Janette came to dinner. We made pizza, Isaac brought cinnamon rolls, and we had several people over. I was already happy being able to party with Janette one last time before she went into the MTC . Then after dinner, my roommates surprised me with birthday cake and ice cream. Everyone sang happy birthday, and I was glad I got to celebrate with Janette. Then on the morning of the 18th (my BIRTHDAY ) I woke up and left my room, and this is what I found: streamers hanging from the connecting door, balloons all over the living room, streamers on the ceiling, a monkey hanging from the ceiling in the kitchen, and 20 sticky notes that said 20 different things my roommates love about me. : ) I have the BEST   roommates ever! Sandra also had a few dollar store presents for me, and the best o...

Going Public

So I was thinking today about how I love to keep up with my friends and family through their blogs. I'm pretty busy with school, so I really don't have time to call everyone who is important to me and talk about their lives. Instead I read their blogs. I write my blog for much the same reason, so that people who care about me can read about my life on their own time. Ever since I started my blog I've had it privatized so that only people who I invite can read my blog. However, as I have made more friends, I've had multiple people be surprised that I have a blog at all, and some have asked to read it. I've always been hesitant to let people read my blog because I don't want to inadvertently offend someone or accidentally share something I'd rather keep private with the whole world. I realized today that that is really silly considering the purpose of my blog, and so I've decided to publicize my blog. I realize that I write about other people on my blog, a...

Cibophobia

I have been a picky eater for as long as I can remember. In fact, I am the pickiest person I have ever met. (I've heard of people who were pickier for a while, but not for such an extended period of time.) From as far back as I can remember up until my last year of high school I ate the same things all the time. I took the same thing for lunch every day from kindergarten through high school. My parents didn't understand, but they never tried to force me to eat anything I didn't want to. (Well, except once when I was five or six, and my mom said I couldn't have anything else to eat until I ate a slice of apple. ... I went three days without food and she gave up.) While I have always just said I'm a picky eater, I now believe that I suffer from Cibophobia. Cibophobia is the fear of food. If you'd like, you can read more about it here . Why was my diet so limited? Why did I refuse to try new things? It was because trying new foods, the thought of putting the food...