Skip to main content

July 7, 2014

Buenos Dias a Todos!
 
This week has been crazy! Monday we played sports with the district, then we had couple of citas, and at night Hna Christensen packed. I just watched her and felt weird that I wasn't the one packing. I haven't ever had a companion get transferred away from me while I stayed in the area, so it was weird...
 
Tuesday was transfer meeting. It was crazy because we had to help take up some luggage for the YSA hermanas since they both got transferred so we packed everything in super tight (thank you mom for the jigsaw packing skill genes). Then we went up for the new trainer meeting for Hna Christensen, and I ended up hanging out with a bunch of elders for an hour or so since there weren't any other hermanas there. After transfers were over Hna Christensen ended up with Hna Avila (the new missionary) in El Camino! It's crazy because that's where she started her mission. She's in a different area now, but the same ward! My new companion is Hermana Jensen who was trained by Hermana Hall up in Santa Clarita, and was companions with Hermana Winn in the MTC who was trained by Hermana Carlin Hardy in the Ventura mission!
So many crazy connections. :)
 
Wednesday we had an AMAZING MIRACLE!!!!! We had a dinner appointment with Hna O, and she had invited a friend to dinner with us. That in and of itself is amazing, but the crazier part is that Hna O only met this friend the Saturday before! They met at a yardsale, Hna O talked with her a little bit about the church, they exchanged phone numbers, and then Hna O invited her to dinner with us. The craziest part of all is that she actually came to dinner! She even brought her daughter and little granddaughter with her. After dinner we all gathered around and we taught the Restoration. As we taught we found out that she had been praying to know which church was true, and that God would put her on the path that she needed to be on. We testified that this is the true church and that she is on the right path now. Then she committed to be baptized!!!! It was a truly incredible experience for me, and it really strengthened my testimony that there ARE people that the Lord is preparing who are ready and will accept the gospel. I was also so grateful for Hermana O and her willingness and desire to share the gospel, even with virtual strangers. Her friend actually lives in the Elders' area, so they're the ones who will be teaching her, but it was an amazing and miraculous experience none the less.
 
Thursday was good, and we finished weekly planning in just three hours. We also had a surprise cita with a man named O. He called us at 4:30 and told us he was on the way to the church for our lesson. We'd planned on having the lesson the next day, but we made a ton of phone calls and finally ended up just going by ourselves right then to have a lesson in the parking lot. It was really short because we had another appointment right after, but it was SO COOL!!! He has really made a huge effort to be able to meet with us, and he really wants to learn. He doesn't have a car, so he took the bus/walked all the way to the church for our lesson.
 
Friday was the 4th of July, and we had Zone Training Meeting that morning. (Yes that was the most exciting part of the day. :) It was a pretty good meeting, and I loved the focus on Enduring to the End. They've made some changes in how missionary work is done so that missionaries are now in charge of making sure that all of the lessons are taught again after baptism and that we maintain much more contact with our recent converts. I am so excited for this focus, and I think that it will help so many more people to maintain themselves firmly in the faith and go to the temple a year after their baptism.
 
Saturday was a good day, and after planning Hermana Jensen and I made up a song to summarize it. (We both love to sing, so we've been making up little songs that don't make sense all week.) I don't guarantee that all of the numbers are exactly accurate, but some of them are. :) It goes to the tune of the 12 Days of Christmas.
 
"On the 5th day of Julio my good Lord gave to me...
 
12 Helpful scriptures (there were more than 12, but it was the best fit)
11 Dogs a barking (I didn't really count them, but there are a lot in Pacoima)
10 phone calls made (I'm sure we made more than just 10)
9 Harsh rejections (I don't count these either, but it fit the syllable count)
8 Berries thrown (We throw berries at our Zone Leaders window when we walk by)
7 Knocks on a door (I always knock on a door seven times)
6 Member cenas (we had 6 this week, not in one day)
5 NEW INVESTIGATORS (nough said!)
4 Colored eggs (this is a game we play with a group of kids sometimes)
3 Lessons taught (not super exciting, but it was the 3 that we needed)
2 English Elders (we caught the English Elders in our area that day)
 
And another night of fireworks!"
 
It was so fun that we called the District Leader, the Zone Leaders, and the Assistants to sing it to them. :)
 
Sunday we had church, and O impressed me again. He rode the bus/walked again, and he got there at 8:30 in the morning so that we could give him a church tour before church started. He seemed to really enjoy the classes and sacrament meeting, and the ward did and AMAZING job fellowshipping him. So many different members came up to him and introduced themselves, the Elder's quorum president invited him to sit with them during sacrament meeting, and our recent convert E gave him a ride home!
 
I also made and achieved the goal of writing in my journal every night this week if you couldn't tell. :) I am so grateful for this time I have to serve as a missionary. I know that this gospel really can bless the lives of those who follow it, and I'm grateful for this time to dedicate to helping others recognize those blessings.
 
Love,
 
Hna Marin Hardy

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birthday!

So, my birthday was yesterday, and it was quite possibly the best birthday ever , and definitely the BEST day of this semester!  It actually started the night before (the night of the 17th) when Janette came to dinner. We made pizza, Isaac brought cinnamon rolls, and we had several people over. I was already happy being able to party with Janette one last time before she went into the MTC . Then after dinner, my roommates surprised me with birthday cake and ice cream. Everyone sang happy birthday, and I was glad I got to celebrate with Janette. Then on the morning of the 18th (my BIRTHDAY ) I woke up and left my room, and this is what I found: streamers hanging from the connecting door, balloons all over the living room, streamers on the ceiling, a monkey hanging from the ceiling in the kitchen, and 20 sticky notes that said 20 different things my roommates love about me. : ) I have the BEST   roommates ever! Sandra also had a few dollar store presents for me, and the best o...

Going Public

So I was thinking today about how I love to keep up with my friends and family through their blogs. I'm pretty busy with school, so I really don't have time to call everyone who is important to me and talk about their lives. Instead I read their blogs. I write my blog for much the same reason, so that people who care about me can read about my life on their own time. Ever since I started my blog I've had it privatized so that only people who I invite can read my blog. However, as I have made more friends, I've had multiple people be surprised that I have a blog at all, and some have asked to read it. I've always been hesitant to let people read my blog because I don't want to inadvertently offend someone or accidentally share something I'd rather keep private with the whole world. I realized today that that is really silly considering the purpose of my blog, and so I've decided to publicize my blog. I realize that I write about other people on my blog, a...

Cibophobia

I have been a picky eater for as long as I can remember. In fact, I am the pickiest person I have ever met. (I've heard of people who were pickier for a while, but not for such an extended period of time.) From as far back as I can remember up until my last year of high school I ate the same things all the time. I took the same thing for lunch every day from kindergarten through high school. My parents didn't understand, but they never tried to force me to eat anything I didn't want to. (Well, except once when I was five or six, and my mom said I couldn't have anything else to eat until I ate a slice of apple. ... I went three days without food and she gave up.) While I have always just said I'm a picky eater, I now believe that I suffer from Cibophobia. Cibophobia is the fear of food. If you'd like, you can read more about it here . Why was my diet so limited? Why did I refuse to try new things? It was because trying new foods, the thought of putting the food...