Skip to main content

July 15


Hola!

Yes, I know the title doesn't make any sense (other than that Hna Allen and I are both Hermanas). It's just something we say on a regular basis as an inside joke because the song "As Sisters in Zion" has a line in Spanish that says, "pues somos hermanas."

This week was an interesting week for us... It started out really well on a high from last week. Monday was preparation da, and we spent some time at the park, we did some slack lining, and Hna Allen and I climbed a tree.

Tuesday was district meeting, which was wonderful as always, and then we had lunch with Hna R---o who is the primary president in our ward. She is absolutely wonderful, and she speaks enough English that she can help us learn new words. The word for ant is "hormigo". I've had good cause to use that word lately because every time we go to the park to teach (which is once or twice a week) I get bit by ants! I hate it because it itches SO bad.

Wednesday specifically was both an amazing day and a really hard day. We had set appointments for every hour of the day (minus dinner) and no one was there for our appointments. However, we were able to do some good finding and we actually found 4 new investigators that day. Two of those new investigators were former investigators who Hna Whetten and I tried to pick up several times, but we could never find them at home. The fact that we had appointments fall through near their house and they just happened to be home and willing to let us come in!

Thursday started out well, (our weekly planning session is getting faster!), but right after the planning session is when things started to go downhill. We got a call just as we were finishing up, and 2 of our most promising investigators dropped us out of the blue. Then within the next 24 hours (honestly maybe 36 but 24 is more dramatic:) 3 of our baptismal dates dropped us, we found out that the other's telephone was disconnected, and another one of our favorite investigators texted us and said he didn't want to meet with us any more.

By the end of that night on Friday I was feeling pretty bad and Hna Allen wasn't much better. Luckily we are blessed to live right next to our Hna Training Leaders (Hna Hansen and Hna Redondo). We stopped to talk to them, and they really lifted our spirits. They told us that it's normal to loose baptismal dates (I'd just assumed that they usually just go on and get baptized.) and they also reminded me of a very important fact: This is only my 3rd transfer! Somehow I'd forgotten that in all reality I'm still a very new missionary, and the fact that I don't know how to do everything, and that I don't have Preach My Gospel down pat yet is normal, and not some huge deficit on my part.

We were definitely in need of a pick-me-up, and that came on Saturday. First off we were able to ride to a dinner in Pacoima with the San Ferndando Elder's (Elder Ellsworth and Elder Linford). It was so much fun, mostly because we got to ride really fast! Then that night we were able to help out with a blitz for them. They picked a street for us to knock, and we prayed for guidance on where to start on the street. The Lord truly blessed us, and we were able to find 3 new investigators and 2 really good potentials for them! It felt so good to be able to help and also to find people who may now be ready for the gospel in their lives. I love seeing MIRACLES!!

Sunday was a pretty good day although none of our investigators came to church, and another one missed an appointment and started avoiding us... We were able to go to the House Warming/Ward Party at the DeLeon's new house, and it was good to be able to just sit and chat with some of the ward members. I especially loved talking w/ Hna T---a (who was baptized just a few months ago). She is always talking about the blessings of the gospel in her life, and in her families lives, and it strengthens my testimony so much!

In conjunction with remembering that I'm still a fairly new missionary and it's okay that I don't know everything yet, I found a new favorite scripture this week; it's in 1st Nephi 4. Most people just read verse 6 which says, "And I was led by the Spirit, not knowing beforehand the things which I should do." You really can't stop there though. I love the first phrase in verse 7: "Nevertheless I went forth." I love the word 'nevertheless'. If you take it apart a little it is really cool: never the less. I like to think Nephi was saying, "I will never be less than I am," or "I am never less than the Lord expects," or "I never want to give less than I have." Nevertheless: I will never give less, I will never be less, I will never obey less. It is very inspiring for me.
I know that this gospel is true, and that it really can bring more happiness than anything else! I love being a missionary and sharing that with other people. I would challenge each of you to find that same happiness in your lives by sharing the gospel with someone. A friend, a family member, or even just someone you talk to once and never again. Give them that opportunity to feel these blessings in their lives as well.

Love,

Hna Marin Hardy








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birthday!

So, my birthday was yesterday, and it was quite possibly the best birthday ever , and definitely the BEST day of this semester!  It actually started the night before (the night of the 17th) when Janette came to dinner. We made pizza, Isaac brought cinnamon rolls, and we had several people over. I was already happy being able to party with Janette one last time before she went into the MTC . Then after dinner, my roommates surprised me with birthday cake and ice cream. Everyone sang happy birthday, and I was glad I got to celebrate with Janette. Then on the morning of the 18th (my BIRTHDAY ) I woke up and left my room, and this is what I found: streamers hanging from the connecting door, balloons all over the living room, streamers on the ceiling, a monkey hanging from the ceiling in the kitchen, and 20 sticky notes that said 20 different things my roommates love about me. : ) I have the BEST   roommates ever! Sandra also had a few dollar store presents for me, and the best o...

Going Public

So I was thinking today about how I love to keep up with my friends and family through their blogs. I'm pretty busy with school, so I really don't have time to call everyone who is important to me and talk about their lives. Instead I read their blogs. I write my blog for much the same reason, so that people who care about me can read about my life on their own time. Ever since I started my blog I've had it privatized so that only people who I invite can read my blog. However, as I have made more friends, I've had multiple people be surprised that I have a blog at all, and some have asked to read it. I've always been hesitant to let people read my blog because I don't want to inadvertently offend someone or accidentally share something I'd rather keep private with the whole world. I realized today that that is really silly considering the purpose of my blog, and so I've decided to publicize my blog. I realize that I write about other people on my blog, a...

Cibophobia

I have been a picky eater for as long as I can remember. In fact, I am the pickiest person I have ever met. (I've heard of people who were pickier for a while, but not for such an extended period of time.) From as far back as I can remember up until my last year of high school I ate the same things all the time. I took the same thing for lunch every day from kindergarten through high school. My parents didn't understand, but they never tried to force me to eat anything I didn't want to. (Well, except once when I was five or six, and my mom said I couldn't have anything else to eat until I ate a slice of apple. ... I went three days without food and she gave up.) While I have always just said I'm a picky eater, I now believe that I suffer from Cibophobia. Cibophobia is the fear of food. If you'd like, you can read more about it here . Why was my diet so limited? Why did I refuse to try new things? It was because trying new foods, the thought of putting the food...