Skip to main content

July 29

 
Hola!!

I'm training AGAIN!!! Hna Allen and I are getting a new companion this transfer, and she's another new missionary! I am so excited, but also nervous, but mostly EXCITED!! It's going to be crazy having three of us on bike. I'm not even sure how to do missionary work in a trio... Contacting is going to be crazy, lessons are going to be crazy, studies are going to be crazy, preparation day is going to be crazy, it's all just going to be CRAZY!!! We're going to borrow Elder Bowman's bike again so that the new Hna can use mine until she can buy her own. Honestly, my mind is so blown right now that I'm struggling to concentrate on the rest of this letter. We've been so excited just this morning that the rest of the week has somehow fled from my mind... I'll try to dig some of it back up for you.

Monday we had breakfast for lunch in the barbecue area of the San Fernando Elder's apartment complex, and then we went and played basketball at the church for a while. I actually made a couple of 3 point shots! (Daddy are you proud?) Then that night we had a great lesson with V---a, one of our investigators, and she said she wants to be baptized she just doesn't feel like she's good enough with God yet. We're going to try to help her feel more prepared so that she can be baptized and really get closer to God.

Tuesday we stopped by E---n, one of our investigators who's been avoiding us, and her mom told us that she's not allowed to talk with us anymore because her dad said no. We left her a note saying we were sorry, and to call if she needs us. I hope that she'll remember us well, and at some later point in her life she'll talk with missionaries again and get baptized. We were also able to meet with one of the members in our ward (C---s) and work with him on how to teach lessons/explain principles (in church or with friends). He has a great testimony, but he says he struggles to know how to explain things. We assured him that we don't always know how to explain things either, but the Spirit makes up for what we lack and will for him to.

Wednesday we met with E---n, and had a great lesson about the Restoration. He has a hard time understanding a lot of the time and sometimes has a very short attention span, but I think this time he finally understands the Restoration, and why it's so important. Right now we're working on helping him want to pray. The rest of the day was full of dropped appointments, but we were also able to use the time well and find some new investigators. We were also able to go contacting with a couple of recent converts, E---a and T---a, who are just amazing! This was also the day I accidentally broke my bike tube trying to inflate the tire more... Luckily we had an extra tube that I put in that night.

Thursday we had weekly planning, and then dinner with Hno D---z (who is amazing as well). Sadly my brand new tube was flat again (maybe a problem with the valve...) so in order to get anywhere we had to pump my tire up before we left. Luckily it never went flat while I was riding, just when it was sitting still. My biceps got a good work out pumping up the tire so many times.

Friday we had lunch with E---n at Denny's which was nice. He really is just a great guy other than the fact that he absolutely refuses to pray. We can't figure out what to do to help him want to pray. Then right after lunch we ran to the church (because I still had no tire for my bike) because I was playing the piano for a funeral service of a member of the ward. It was a little sad to be at a funeral, but I was grateful that I was able to play they hymns and bring the spirit to help comfort the family. Not all the family was members, but I hope that they will be able to find comfort in the Plan of Salvation anyway. Afterwards the Hna's took us to buy another bike tube for my bike. Later that day we taught two new investigators C---a and J---e about the Restoration, and helped V---a prepare for her sister's baby shower. (We love service! Especially when we can serve our investigators.)

Saturday morning we helped V---a set up tables and chairs in the backyard for her baby shower again then went home to finish up studies. After we went and saw E---n and tried again to teach him about how important prayer is, and how much it can bless his life. He still wouldn't pray, but we'll keep trying. At least he's been reading the Book of Mormon every time we give him an assignment. This was also a day of miracles because we had 2 member present lessons planned and both of our investigators weren't home when we showed up for the lessons. However, we were able to visit a couple of other potentials, and ended up finding 3 new investigators with our members and teaching 2 lessons! (We found 3 other investigators during other parts of the day.) I love having members with us for lessons, especially recent converts. Their testimonies are SO strong, and they relate so much better to our investigators.

Sunday was crazy. We had so many things planned that we needed to do that we didn't think we would have time for almost any of our studies. The morning was even crazier than we expected because the 2 investigators who'd committed to come to church canceled last minute, and we picked up (and walked to church with) another investigator who we hadn't been expecting to come. We also had 3 potentials who actually live outside our area who wanted a ride to our church, but they live in Van Nuys so we couldn't do that. Luckily I got the phone number for the zone leaders over there, and they promised to take care of the situation so I didn't have to worry about it. I was pretty stressed out throughout church not sure what we were going to do about everything, but it ended up that almost everything we had planned fell through. Usually that's pretty sad, but this time it was relieving because we were able to fit everything in, and actually do most of our studies.

Today is Monday and we're going to spend the last day together as a district before Elder Winward and Elder Ellsworth leave. Then tomorrow is Tuesday, and Hna Allen and I get to pick up our new companion!!!! I am so excited! The work of Salvation is moving forward! I know that the gospel is true, Joseph Smith was a prophet, and Jesus Christ is my Savior and yours! I love you all!

Love,

Hna Marin Hardy



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Birthday!

So, my birthday was yesterday, and it was quite possibly the best birthday ever , and definitely the BEST day of this semester!  It actually started the night before (the night of the 17th) when Janette came to dinner. We made pizza, Isaac brought cinnamon rolls, and we had several people over. I was already happy being able to party with Janette one last time before she went into the MTC . Then after dinner, my roommates surprised me with birthday cake and ice cream. Everyone sang happy birthday, and I was glad I got to celebrate with Janette. Then on the morning of the 18th (my BIRTHDAY ) I woke up and left my room, and this is what I found: streamers hanging from the connecting door, balloons all over the living room, streamers on the ceiling, a monkey hanging from the ceiling in the kitchen, and 20 sticky notes that said 20 different things my roommates love about me. : ) I have the BEST   roommates ever! Sandra also had a few dollar store presents for me, and the best o...

Going Public

So I was thinking today about how I love to keep up with my friends and family through their blogs. I'm pretty busy with school, so I really don't have time to call everyone who is important to me and talk about their lives. Instead I read their blogs. I write my blog for much the same reason, so that people who care about me can read about my life on their own time. Ever since I started my blog I've had it privatized so that only people who I invite can read my blog. However, as I have made more friends, I've had multiple people be surprised that I have a blog at all, and some have asked to read it. I've always been hesitant to let people read my blog because I don't want to inadvertently offend someone or accidentally share something I'd rather keep private with the whole world. I realized today that that is really silly considering the purpose of my blog, and so I've decided to publicize my blog. I realize that I write about other people on my blog, a...

Cibophobia

I have been a picky eater for as long as I can remember. In fact, I am the pickiest person I have ever met. (I've heard of people who were pickier for a while, but not for such an extended period of time.) From as far back as I can remember up until my last year of high school I ate the same things all the time. I took the same thing for lunch every day from kindergarten through high school. My parents didn't understand, but they never tried to force me to eat anything I didn't want to. (Well, except once when I was five or six, and my mom said I couldn't have anything else to eat until I ate a slice of apple. ... I went three days without food and she gave up.) While I have always just said I'm a picky eater, I now believe that I suffer from Cibophobia. Cibophobia is the fear of food. If you'd like, you can read more about it here . Why was my diet so limited? Why did I refuse to try new things? It was because trying new foods, the thought of putting the food...